2018 Official Local Government and School Trustee Election

2018 is a General Local Election year. On October 20th, 2018 eligible electors of the Regional District of Mount Waddington will have an opportunity to vote for the positions of Electoral Area Director and School Board Trustee unless these positions have been acclaimed.


The need to conduct elections in certain areas of the Regional District will depend on whether Electoral Area Director and School Board Trustee positions are acclaimed. As a result, specific voting needs and the exact dates and voting locations will be determined once the nomination period ends on September 14th. Here are some key dates on which voting will occur where required:

  • Advance Voting from 8am to 8pm on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
  • General Voting day from 8am to 8pm on Saturday, October 20, 2018
  • Other voting opportunities may be provided (to be determined)

Please check back after September 14th for more details on voting opportunities.


Jeff Long, Deputy Chief Election Officer

Louisa Bates, Administrative Assistant and Presiding Election Official




Voter Information

Voter Information


In order to be eligible to vote locally as a resident or non-resident property elector, a person must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older when they register to vote, or 18 years or older on general voting day,
  • Be a Canadian citizen,
  • Have been a resident of B. C. for at least six months before they register to vote,
  • Have either lived or owned property in the jurisdiction in which they intend to vote for at least 30 days before they register to vote, and
  • Not be disqualified under the Local Government Act, or any other enactment, or by law from voting in a local election


A resident elector is required to show two pieces of identification which must prove who they are and where they live and must include the person's name and residential address. One of the pieces of identification must also include the person's signature (such as a driver's licence or BC Services Card). If neither piece of identification shows the elector's residential address, they may make a solemn declaration as to their place of residence.

Non-resident property electors must prove who they are and where they live as well as provide the address or legal description and the title (or other proof of ownership) of the property in relation to which they are registering to vote. Non-resident property electors must also demonstrate to the presiding election official that they have the written consent of the majority of all owners to vote as the designated non-resident property elector if they own the property with another person.

Candidate Information

Candidate Information

People considering running in local elections now have access to resources that provide information about the roles and responsibilities of elected local officials. In an effort to create awareness, the Local Government Management Association, Local Government Leadership Academy, Union of B.C. Municipalities and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing worked to develop the materials outlined below.

Thinking About Running for Electoral Area Director?