Winter Harbour-Holberg - Area B

Winter Harbour & Holberg Land Use Planning, Development and Building Information

Winter Harbour & Holberg Land Use Planning, Development and Building Information

The community of Winter Harbour is subject to an Official Community Plan (Bylaw No. 371) and a Zoning Bylaw (RDMW Zoning Bylaw No. 21, 1972). The Official Community Plan includes objectives and policies to guide decisions related to planning and land use management for the community into the future.

While Holberg does not have its own Official Community Plan, it is also subject to RDMW Zoning Bylaw No. 21. The Zoning Bylaw prescribes detailed regulations related to land use, the siting, size and dimensions of buildings, minimum lot size for the purposes of subdivision, etc. Please refer to the following links for more information:


Winter Harbour Official Community Plan:

Winter Harbour Community Plan Bylaw No. 371 (Consolidated September 19, 2017)

Winter Harbour Community Plan Land Use Map


Zoning Bylaw:

RDMW Zoning Bylaw No. 21, 1972 (Consolidated February 18, 2020)

Zoning Map No. 6 – Winter Harbour (Zoning Bylaw No. 21)

Zoning Map No. 8 – Holberg

Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 641, 2001 (Amends Zoning Map No. 8 – Holberg)

Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 671, 2002 (Amends Zoning Map No. 8 – Holberg)

Building Bylaw:

While approval of a Building Permit is not required, the siting of buildings and structures must be undertaken in accordance with the BC Building Code, and as of November 1, 2020, a Building Bylaw is in effect that requires a Site Permit be applied for and issued by the Regional District. The Site Permit process is designed to ensure that the siting of buildings and structures conforms to the requirements of the applicable zoning bylaw. Please refer to the following links for more information.

Building Bylaw No. 682, 2003 (Consolidated)

Application for Site Permit

Example Site Plan to Accompany Application for Building or Site Permit

Owners Acknowledgement of Responsibility - Site Permit

Link to Provincial website for British Columbia Building, Fire and Plumbing Codes:



With respect to the subdivision of land, the Ministry of Transportation processes and approves applications for this purpose. Information, including a copy of the application required for subdivision, can be found on the Ministry’s website at:

Applicants are encouraged to consult with the Regional District as a prelude to making application for subdivision.



If you have any questions regarding planning, development and building, please contact the Regional District by telephone at 250-956-3301 or by email at